Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The University of Dave

It was the summer of 1994, and I was a counselor at Med-O-Lark in Washington, ME. This is a drawing a camper named Deb made for me. Judging from its contents, I guess the things I liked weren’t much of a secret…

Front and center is alcohol. There is a liquor bottle (vodka?) with a Boston Bruins symbol along with the “Brewum Partium” motto of the University. The “Babum Tunum” part of the motto goes along with the “Chester Chick” female depicted – she represents a major college crush of mine who was from a town called Chester (Chester Chick is how the campers referred to her when they asked me about her). Surrounding the alcohol and woman are three of my favorite fictional characters. There is the Punisher skull, Tasmanian Devil, and Homer from The Simpsons (a show I’ve watched a few times). The “If it’s inappropriate, it’s Dave” is a perfect summation of how I was living when I was 20. I drank a lot, got into trouble, and didn’t really care who I upset.

I’m glad to report that it has been almost 16 years since I last drank, and I am still a big fan of the Bruins, Taz, and Punisher. I also think I’m acting at least a little more appropriate than I was at 20…

No comments:

Post a Comment