Thursday, January 13, 2011

Drawing from 4th Grader with Autism

It was the end of the 2003-2004 school year, and I had been teaching 4th grade students with disabilities that were new to me: Down Syndrome and Autism.

One of my students with Autism loved the Pats…and elephants. At the end of the year, he gave me this drawing in a frame. It’s been on my desk ever since.

In addition to the day he gave me this drawing, one of my favorite memories with this student happened when we were walking inside from recess. I wanted to see if I could make him laugh, so I pretended to walk into the lockers in the corridor. Instead of laughing, he turned and asked me if I was okay. If you’re not familiar with Autism, that’s huge.

For more info on Autism, you can check out the Autism Society of America and Autism Speaks. And in case you didn’t hear about the doctor who fraudulently reported a link between vaccines and Autism, you can read an article about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment