Thursday, January 27, 2011

Note from Dad (August 15, 2010)

One trait my father passed on to me was the ability to get up at any hour no matter how much sleep I’ve had. The alarm goes off, I get up. I’m not one of those “Hit the snooze 10 times before getting up” people. Don’t get me wrong - I love sleeping. And if I don’t have to get up for something, I love sleeping in. But no matter how early I have to get up for whatever reason, I am in the bathroom about 15 seconds after the alarm goes off. My dad left me this note last August when we had to get up early to volunteer at a triathlon. You can read all about it and the free t-shirt I got here. We made it to the event at 6:00, and had a great time helping out all the triathletes.

Today was another day I had to get up early, but instead of helping triathletes, I was being a snowathlete. Part of my job is making sure the parking lot and walkways of Hope Lodge are clear. This winter has been the toughest one since I’ve started here, but unlike previous winters one of the HL guests has been helping me out. This morning, he started shoveling at 4:30 to make sure some other guests could get out! So if you’re having a bad day and can’t stand all this snow we’re getting, think of dealing with cancer and all of that snow at the same time. If you want to read more about this guest, you can do it here.

Thanks for handing down the getting-up-whenever superpower Dad, and thank you to every Hope Lodge guest for always reminding me what’s really important in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment