Monday, January 31, 2011

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey Card

Like my Hockey in Heaven and Calvin and Hobbes comics, this hung on my door in college. I don’t remember who got this for me, although my top two guesses would be my cousin Katie or my friend Matt.

Saturday Night Live, or SNL as we called it, was a weekly ritual with my group of high school friends. We usually watched my friend Matt’s hockey game or went bowling, then went to Friendly’s, then watched SNL at someone’s house. Yeah, we knew how to party!

The late 80s/early 90s were a great time for SNL. There were veteran cast members like Phil Hartman, Dana Carvey, Al Franken, Dennis Miller, Kevin Nealon, and Jon Lovitz who were combined with newcomers Mike Meyers, Chris Rock, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, and Rob Schneider. There was Wayne’s World, The Chris Farley Show, The Copy Guy, Stuart Smalley, Opera Man, and awesome Weekend Updates.

There were also Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey. This one was one of my favorites.

A few of my others were:

To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've

wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went

to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.


Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why

several of us died of tuberculosis.

If you ever fall off the Sears Tower, just go real limp, because maybe

you'll look like a dummy and people will try to catch you because, hey,

free dummy.


If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is

"God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to

tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

What I found out while researching for this blog was that Jack Handey is a real guy! You can read more about him here and here. And I found some Deep Thoughts pages here and here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment