Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Poems from a Tragic Comic Book Cover (2006)

Five years ago I published my first book of poetry, Poems from a Tragic Comic: Surviving cancer, drinking, and women.

My idea for the cover was almost a precursor to this blog, and my sister Carolyn made the idea a reality.

I wanted the cover to be a smorgasbord of events and emotions that captured the kinds of feelings contained in my poems. There are medical things, drinking things, dating things, and sports things.

The BC hockey pieces demonstrate this wide range of emotions in particular. I wanted to include a BC-BU ticket because that rivalry is near and dear to my heart. The BC hockey pictures define the Wide World of Sports tagline “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat” – they are the sign on the Mass Pike after BC won the championship in 2001, and a picture of the players after they lost the championship game in OT in 1998.

Most of the other items I’ve blogged about already:

  1. My Friends in Blue
  2. Court Summons from a Best Friend
  3. Hospital Bracelets – Cancer and Kidney Stone
  4. Note from Suzie
  5. Rejection Letter from BC Stylus (which is also included in this book – a promise I made myself when they rejected me)
  6. Tragic Comic Note
  7. Focusin
  8. Note from a Friend
  9. Westboro House of Pizza Menu

Eventually, I’ll have to make one huge collage of everything I scan.

More on BC hockey tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment