Friday, July 22, 2011

Mike Birbiglia Sleepwalk with Me Signed Book and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend Ticket (4/2/11)


Last April, I got to chat for a second time with someone that I consider to be one of my heroes. Raised in nearby Shrewsbury, MA, Mike Birbiglia is one of my favorite comedians and has dealt with life challenges that are similar to mine. Mike was raised Catholic and also “served time” as an altar boy (and like Mike, my answer is, “No, I wasn’t…” Mike also went to Saint John’s, but like his older brother (who was in my class), he didn’t complete 4 years there. “Birbigs” has had his share of medical issues, too. While I have been dealing with Crohn’s most of my life, Mike has been dealing with a sleepwalking disorder. Additionally, both of us are cancer survivors. I have used humor to deal with my issues, and so has Mike…he’s just a lot funnier than me. I bet I could kick his ass in hockey, though. When I knew Skating for Hope was officially booked, I thought of what my “dream schedule” would be. Mike was on there, so I emailed him to see if he was interested in participating. Although I never heard back from him, I hope he knows it’s an open invite (no, I’m not going to make a YouTube video). Thanks for all the laughs, Mike.

To read more about Mike and watch his “Wiffle Ball Tony” routine that I love, you can check out the blog I wrote on the day I went to see his show in April.

PS – His book Sleepwalk with Me is now available in paperback here.


No comments:

Post a Comment