Sunday, July 17, 2011

Bruins/Penguins Ticket (10/20/08) with Video - Asking Stanley Cup Out to Skating for Hope

In June of 2008, I was watching a Stanley Cup Finals game between the Red Wings and Penguins. Even though the Bruins had been eliminated by the “Hated Habs” in game 7 of the first round that year, I keep watching every game until hockey’s holy grail is awarded. This game between the Wings and Pens was an instant classic. As I watched the game go into triple overtime, I kept asking myself, “Why don’t more people love this sport?” My passion and questioning turned into a typed-out rant (after the game ended, 4-3 Penguins, and I emailed it to the biggest hockey fans I know: my parents.

My parents forwarded it to hockey fans they knew, including people that worked for the Boston Bruins. One Bruins employee was so struck by my love for hockey that she emailed my father back and said she wanted to treat me and a guest to the Bruins home opener that year. The B’s lost 2-1 in a shootout, but I was still psyched that it was my writing that got me there – and in some great seats!

This year, The Cup returned to Boston. Let me say that again: The Boston Bruins won The Cup. 2011 Stanley Cup Champs: My Beloved B’s. It really happened.

What’s really happening soon is Skating for Hope, my 24-hour skate-a-thon to benefit the American Cancer Society’s Hope Lodge in Worcester, MA. I know the schedule may say differently, but I think it’s worth asking Stanley out to Skating for Hope…Here’s to that really happening, too:

No comments:

Post a Comment