Monday, July 25, 2011

Do You Believe in Miracles? DVD

Welcome to my week of inspiration through hockey in the movies…

When I was walking down the stairs to start my shift at Hope Lodge tonight, I could feel the stress of wanting every last detail of Skating for Hope to be already taken care of. Then, I thought of the reason I wanted to do the whole thing – all of the Hope Lodge guests past and present. I thought of the challenges they have to put up with on a daily basis, and how any worries I have about the skate-a-thon really don’t compare to the stress of dealing with cancer. I thought of those guests who have lost their battles with cancer. My stress of planning the event soon passed, and I was reminded that my initial goal for Skating for Hope was only that I skate 24 hours for Hope Lodge. That’s already happening, and now I have a lot of other people supporting the event along with me.

Even with the inspiration from Hope Lodge guests and support from everyone, I think during the nights this week I will be looking for more inspiration from my collection of hockey movies. First up tonight is the documentary (yes, I’m a documentary dork) about the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team titled Do You Believe in Miracles?. Although I don’t remember specifics of watching the games that year, I do remember running around with my older brother Jon and singing “We are the Champions” over and over (something I wouldn’t do again until BC Hockey won a national title in 2001). It was a big year for me…US won Olympic hockey gold, and The Empire Strikes Back came out. Off to get inspired by some college kids who beat the best hockey team in the world…

Do I believe in miracles? Yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment