Sunday, March 27, 2011

Note From My Friend Kerry (2008)

Every now and again in my life, someone tells me that they haven’t seen a certain movie? My jaw drops, and I get and give them my DVD of that movie for them to watch.

A few years ago, my friend Kerry was working a weekend at Hope Lodge. She had told me she had never seen Die Hard, so I corrected it immediately. I also made it a point to make sure that Kerry watched some episodes of Trailer Park Boys.

So, in no particular order, here are some movies, TV shows, and standup routines that are on the “Dave’s Must See” list:

1. Die Hard – best action movie I’ve seen, paved the way for many future movies

2. Trailer Park Boys – Canadian TV show that makes me wish Sunnyvale was a real place

3. Mike Birbiglia, What I Should Have Said Was Nothing – Comedian from Shrewsbury, MA who has perfected taking life challenges and turning them into laughs – this guy is one of my heroes

4. Star Wars – Duh! But if you are a Star Wars fan, Robot Chicken Star Wars replaces the “Holy Trilogy” in this list

5. This Is Spinal Tap (and other Christopher Guest mockumentaries) – Spinal Tap helped get me through chemotherapy and the laughs always go to 11

6. Kevin Smith movies – Especially Chasing Amy and Clerks

7. Denis Leary, No Cure for Cancer – My favorite standup routine of all-time, I know every single line and made sure when I started playing guitar that “Asshole” was one of the first songs I learned – Denis is also a hero of mine

8. Outside Providence - Simply put, one of the most underrated comedies ever

9. Indiana Jones movies – Yes, I even liked the most recent one

10. Fletch – I’ve had entire conversations with friends using only quotes from this movie

11. Do You Believe In Miracles? / Miracle – Story of the 1980 US Olympic Hockey Team, makes me cry every time

So if you haven’t, watch these and thank me later.

PS - I also forgot to mention how Kerry wrote about my sister’s “veggie dish”. My sister Carolyn makes veggie dishes so well (Vegan Chile and Vegan Cheesecake are my faves) that when I eat them I temporarily think I might be able to make it through life without eating meat. Yes, they are that good!

1 comment:

  1. I just found out last night that my cousin Rob has no idea who Kevin Smith is, has never even heard of Jay, Silent Bob, the movie Clerks, none of that. I was Shocked. And age is no excuse -he's mid thirties. Shocked, I tell you!

    ReplyDelete