Friday, March 25, 2011

Invitation to Cousin Matt's Wedding

I was never a big fan of weddings. I didn’t like the idea of spending so much money on an engagement ring, and even more on the wedding and reception. To me, Love was the only thing that mattered, and it’s silly to think that a marriage’s success depends on the ring or ceremony.

I still went to weddings when I was invited, and was honored to be the best man at my older brother Jon’s wedding. The wedding reception was on the of the best times of my life – everyone was happy, we all knew Jon and Jen were meant for each other, and my toast made Jon cry.

Then, something happened that drastically changed my attitude toward weddings. After being engaged myself, my fiancée called off our engagement/wedding. I was devastated and left without her, my apartment, and my job. Then, less than two years later, she invited me to her own wedding. I really didn’t want to be anywhere near a wedding after that.

One of my BC buddies got married, and there was nothing that was going to keep me from that wedding. I was really happy for him and knew he had found the right girl. Still, there were moments during the ceremony when I had “failed engagement flashbacks. I knew I had to move past it, but I guess I just wasn’t ready yet. There were even a couple weddings/celebrations that I was invited to that I didn’t attend.

Cousin Matt to the rescue…

When Matt told me that he was engaged, I was happy and excited for him and Liz. When he asked me to be one of his groomsmen, I was honored and even happier about the wedding.

Suddenly, all of the negativity I had stored up in relation to weddings was gone. I had always thought that my failed engagement was a character flaw and every wedding I went to amplified that fact. Being part of Matt’s wedding made me realize what happened in my past had nothing to do with anyone else’s wedding.

I had a blast hanging out in NYC for all of the “bachelor party” activities and really let go of what was stopping me from enjoying other’s celebrations.

Today is Matt’s birthday, and I was to thank him for unknowingly helping me move past what had been a big emotional challenge for me. Matt is my only male cousin and even though it might be nice to have other guy cousins to hang out with, I wouldn’t want to have it any other way. Whether it was playing “tackle hoops” with Matt and my brother Tom or watching the Pats win their first Superbowl, I cherish all the fun times I’ve shared with “Matt-O”. Every time I hang out with the guy, he makes me laugh. I love to watch sports with him. I hope someday to co-write a screenplay with him, or have him direct one that I wrote. I hope you have/had a wonderful birthday Matt, I love you, and I’m lucky to have you as my cousin.

1 comment:

  1. Buy Cenforce 200 mg Online drugs used to treat erectile disorder in men. Cenforce 200 is used to treat ED in addition to used to deal with pulmonary arterial hypertension. Cenforce two hundred mg drugs relax the tissues gift inside the blood vessel walls, increase blood go with the flow to the male organ and assist guys have a organization erection, that is the natural reaction to sexual stimulation. However, Cenforce two hundred mg tablets will only work if you are sexually aroused.

    ReplyDelete