Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tybee Island Light Station and Museum Wristband and Guide (With Pictures)




After a weekend of wedding-related festivities in Savannah, GA, my girlfriend and I had a free day yesterday and we went to the Tybee Island Light Station and Museum.

First up (after entering through the gift shop) was climbing the 178 stairs to the top of the lighthouse. It wasn’t too bad, but looking straight down from the view deck did make me feel a little dizzy. I did manage to get a few shots of the view, and my girlfriend was daring enough to take one looking straight down.

After climbing back down, we checked out the head keepers’ cottage and the summer kitchen. I didn’t think there was anything too special in either of these buildings, but I did wonder how often the keeper had to rush down the lighthouse stairs for a bathroom trip. I also asked the tour guide about ghost sightings, and he said he hadn’t had any or heard of any.

The museum part was located in Battery Garland, which is part of Fort Screvin. There were several rooms that had artifacts from Tybee Island history and an observation deck. One of my favorite parts was the “biggest pinup collection” picture – I’m sure it was one of the most popular spots in the barracks. The other, I found at the end of a quiet hallway. I was walking down it, and noticed a few leftovers from when there was an amusement park on Tybee Island. And then just as I entered the room to get a better look, all these lights and loud circus music scared the crap out of me. I yelled, “Jesus Christ!”, crouched, and ran back towards my girlfriend as if the rapture was only off by a couple of days. My girlfriend was laughing about it for the rest of the trip, and rightly so.

We spent the rest of the day on the beach, which was just on the other side of the museum. It wasn’t too crowded, the water was warm and jellyfish free (we saw one on the sand), and the waves were great. We got a healthy dose of vitamin D, and stayed in the water until my girlfriend felt “something” walk by her foot. Still not comparable to a PEI beach, but it was definitely a fun time.




No comments:

Post a Comment