Thursday, May 26, 2011

(Dream) Skating for Hope Schedule

I think we can all agree that cancer sucks. It makes people suffer physically and emotionally, and takes loved ones from us too early. We all want it to go away.

Still, I think there are lessons we can learn from cancer. It does not discriminate. Cancer doesn’t care about your age, race, religion, political party, job, finances, sexual preference, nationality, or anything else that people often judge each other about.

Cancer reminds us that our family and friends are the most important things in life, and that the “stuff” we have isn’t what makes us the happiest.

Cancer taught me to keep laughing no matter what is going on in my life.

Most importantly, it showed me how picturing something, dreaming something, and believing in it makes it happen.

19 years ago, I was picturing chemotherapy traveling through my veins, into my brain, and attacking my cancerous brain tumor. It worked, and I am here to share that story.

Two years ago, I got an idea for a Skate-a-thon to help Hope Lodge, and it is happening in a couple of months.

This is what my ideal Skating for Hope event schedule would be. Even though I am still waiting to hear back from a few people, some of it is already happening. There are former BC hockey players joining me, which itself is going to be unreal. I’m sure as the years go on, the actual event will look more and more like this “dream” one. Looking forward to July 30th

No comments:

Post a Comment