Sunday, April 10, 2011

Weekend in The 'Boro: Harlem Ambassadors Ticket, Your Highness Ticket, and Anything Goes Program

After spending Friday night successfully defending my EA Sports NHL “Belt” at Carl’s, I went back to my hometown of Westboro for a weekend of local fun.

First stop was Westboro High for a charity basketball game put on by the Rotary Club of Westboro. The Harlem Ambassadors played the Rotary Spokes to a packed house, and everyone there had a great time – I honestly had never seen a man of the cloth wearing his shorts so high up before last night (thank God). There were pranks, tackles, dance moves, a lot of fancy passing and shots, and even a broken backboard. I don’t remember what the final score was, but both players and spectators were all smiles.

After the game, it was off to hang out with my friend on her birthday. She wanted to go see Your Highness, so we caught the 10:10 showing. It was a silly comedy that borrowed a lot from other comedy and fantasy movies, but still kept me laughing. And, it starred 4 actors who I enjoy watching: Danny McBride, James Franco, Natalie Portman, and Zooey Deschanel. I don’t think there will be any Oscar nods for this one, but put it on your list if you like movies with a thousand dick, drugs, and sex jokes packed into 90 minutes.

After going out to catch a flick, we watched a more serious movie called It’s Kind of a Funny Story. Even though their characters were more serious than usual, Jim Gaffigan and Zach Galifianakis still had me laughing at times. Definitely worth putting on your Netflix list.

Today, it was time to check out the latest production of the Westboro Players’ Club. I had never seen Anything Goes before, and the Players did a great job putting on the show. Honestly though, can we make the next Westboro Junior High (or Middle School or Gibbons or whatever it’s called) fundraiser be for purchasing more comfortable seats in the auditorium? Thanks. And thanks for a fun weekend, Westboro!

No comments:

Post a Comment