Wednesday, April 6, 2011

1994 Boston Music Awards Program (4/5/94)


I’ve always had a soft spot for musicians that have come out of Boston. In my late high school and early college years, Extreme was the band that I wanted to see more than any other. I even went to the Boston Music Awards (I believe my parents got me tickets for my birthday) because they were one of the performers.

Looking at the list of nominees, there are a few bands that I still listen to today. In addition to Extreme, you can also find me singing along to Aerosmith, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and The Lemonheads.

Other bands that I remember from back then include Letters to Cleo, Morphine, Big Catholic Guilt, Bell Biv DeVoe, and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. I remember whenever Bell Biv Devoe’s “Poison” was playing on MTV, I would yell to my sister Carolyn, “Poison is on!”, making her think it was the hair metal group. She would usually run in, see me laughing, and ½ laugh as she left the room.

I was surprised to see Trey Anastasio and Powerman 5000 listed in the nominees. I didn’t think Trey was from MA (even though Phish was formed in Burlington, VT), and I don’t remember hearing about Powerman 5000 until I was out of college.

I tried finding a list of the 1994 winners online, but had no luck. I did find a list of Awards Aerosmith Has Received, and was shocked that they have won more Grammy Awards than Boston Music Awards.

Hey, you learn something every day…





No comments:

Post a Comment