Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pearl Jam Ten LP (1991)


I can’t believe it was 20 years ago (8/27/91) that Pearl Jam released Ten. I remember hearing Alive on WAAF my junior year in high school and thinking it was “pretty good”. It certainly sounded different to me, but I wasn’t ready to spend my Mini Farms money on a copy just yet.

When I saw the video for Even Flow, I was blown away. This band loved to play, and were not happy with the world. Add Eddie’s climbing, hanging, and falling into the crowd to that and it was easy to take notice.

In the summer of 1992, I was in the middle of chemotherapy treatments for my brain tumor. My older brother let me borrow his Discman for my overnight hospital stays, and Ten was in the pile of discs he gave me to listen to. It was the perfect album to help me visualize while I received my VP16, carboplatin, and bleomycin through my IV. I bought the Ten tape after that summer, and it quickly became one of my all-time favorites (I got ths copy online in 2006). It helped me get through cancer and helped turn me into a lifelong fan of the band.

In the twenty years since Ten was released, I have bought every Pearl Jam album and gone to many shows. I think seeing the 20th anniversary movie (Pearl Jam 20) will be pretty emotional for me, but I’m really looking forward to it…


No comments:

Post a Comment