Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Inside Job DVD

I knew Inside Job was going to anger me, but I wanted to watch it. I had an idea what made all the banks collapse back in 2008, but this movie does a really great job explaining it through interviews, graphs, and statistics. Not surprisingly, it really all comes down to greed. The mega-rich wanted to get richer and the gap between the rich and the poor got even bigger. To make it even worse, those that were responsible for the collapse got rewarded. Not a pick-me-up kind of flick, but definitely exposes a huge problem to the system of the “American Dream”.

I only see two ways this problem can be resolved: One, more super-rich people can start thinking and acting like Warren Buffett (see his Giving Pledge and recent article here). Two, the 98% (49 out of 50) of Americans that make less than $250,000 will stage a revolution against the top 2% of the country (I think we could take ‘em).

I’m not sure what the future holds, but I’m hoping it includes more people with jobs, homes, and feelings of empowerment.

No comments:

Post a Comment