Sunday, September 18, 2011

Star Wars Storybook (1979), Princess Leia Card, Special Edition DVDs with Star Wars Office Space Spoof Video






Star Wars has been part of my life for just about as long as I can remember. It was the first movie I remember seeing in a theater, and I was blown away. When I got the Death Star for Christmas one year, I got my first taste of dreams coming true.

And ever since then, I’ve been buying or receiving Star Wars related “stuff” like this book, card, and DVDs.

After seeing A New Hope, I couldn’t wait for the sequels to come out and started adding to my Star Wars collection over the years.

Even though I wasn’t too happy with some of the changes in the Special Edition releases in 1997, I was excited to see the trilogy up on the big screen again. Like most fans, I was not pleased with the prequel movies. Episode III wasn’t bad, but I and II were big disappointments.

Still, I defended the “Holy Trilogy” if anyone bad-mouthed it and kept adding to my collection of merchandise.

I bought or was given quite a few Star Wars t-shirts and started putting out a Hoth scene under my “Star Wars Ornaments Only” Christmas tree (What better way to celebrate baby Jesus’ birth than with a Death Star on top?). Even this blog has its share of Star Wars posts.

I was glad when I heard George Lucas had taken Warren Buffett’s Giving Pledge, agreeing to give away at least half of his fortune to charity. Then, they made the announcement of Star Wars being released in 3D – just another way for George to make more money and give Episode IV a chance to climb on the all-time box office gross list. Again, I say I will only see the movies in 3D if Lucas announces he will donate all of the profits to charity.

When I heard that the Star Wars Blu-ray edition included even more changes to the movies, I told myself I would refuse to give Star Wars any more of my money.

How much money do you need, George? Will you ever be satisfied with the movies? You can’t even keep your hands off of the movies that you didn’t direct?

Unless you donate all of the 3D profits to charity and let fans turn in their older movies (VHS, DVD) for the newer ones, I am done. I will still watch the movies, but I am done contributing to your greed.

This is how much I care about money and “things”. This is what I think you’re doing to Star Wars…

No comments:

Post a Comment