Monday, September 19, 2011

9/19 – Cholestyram Info

My name is Dave and I have Crohn’s Disease. This means a few things. One, my shit stinks and I know it does. My family and close friends know it does. Because the severity of the disease can vary from person to person, so do the medications that help alleviate symptoms. I’ve been pretty lucky with my Crohn’s. Even though I was diagnosed almost 23 years ago, I have only needed one surgery. And, I’ve only been hospitalized twice (my initial diagnosis and April 2008).

Still, I have my bad days. There are days when I have no energy and days when I have no energy and need to use the bathroom 8 times. There are cramps, bloating, and aches. I stopped drinking coffee and eating fast food, and that helped cut down on the number of “bad days” I experience.

No matter what I do, I usually experience symptoms at least a few times a week. I’ve never tried Cholestyram (or Cholestyramine as I found it), but I’m willing to give it a try to see what happens. Not that I need it, but it should lower my cholesterol. And I think the common side effect is desirable. Just ask anyone who has had to use the bathroom after me…


No comments:

Post a Comment