Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Medical Records, Last Hospitalization for Brain Cancer (9/16/92 – 9/27/92)

So, it’s been 19 years since I was last in the hospital because of my cancerous brain tumor. Awesome.

Last night, one of the Hope Lodge guests was feeling the wrath of his disease come over him at the dinner table. He told us at least at the end of the week, he would be done with this round of treatment. When I told him that today would be my 19-year out-of-treatment mark, his face lit up and he thanked me. More awesome.

Rather than scanning the entire 13-page discharge summary, I’ve included the front page and a couple of highlights:


If I didn’t want to talk, I must have been pretty damn sick – especially with all those nurses taking care of me.
I’m glad that it’s on record I was playing video games while in the hospital. That was my way of saying f- you cancer, I’m still going to have fun.

The real highlight of this last hospital stay was when the radiologist came in to tell me what I knew was coming. He said they wouldn’t be doing radiation (as was planned) and my treatment was over. The doctors had no explanation as to why I didn’t need radiation, but I wasn’t going to argue. My physical battle with cancer was over, and 19 years later I’m still fighting it with Hope Lodge and 15-40.org.

Even with September 27th being a big day for me, I’m not alone in celebrating today. Google turned 13, and professional t-shirt wearer Jason Sadler of I Wear Your Shirt is celebrating his 1000th day of t-shirt wearing. Congrats to both of them for their revolutionary and visionary success! I hope to do the same in my crusade against cancer…

No comments:

Post a Comment