Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Buddy Programs and Ticket (9/9/11)



Last week, not only did I travel to one of my favorite places (The Island, PEI, Prince Edward Island), I traveled back in time…

It was the late 1950s, and a young musician named Buddy Holly was trying to make a name for himself.

I didn’t know much about Buddy’s life and music career before taking my seat at the Confederation Centre in Charlottetown, PEI, but the cast of the show was happy to educate me - and they did a spectacular job doing so.

Not only did Jeff Giles do a wonderful job bringing Buddy and his music to life; the rest of the performers complimented him on every number.

The Apollo scenes and the Big Bopper/Richie Valens scenes were my favorites, but every scene was truly awesome – even the commercial jingles were great!

If you ever get a chance to see any performance of Buddy, don’t miss out. This year’s PEI cast grabbed me, took me back to the 50s, and made me a Buddy Holly fan – I have since bought his Definitive Collection and looked up the chords for That’ll Be the Day. Of course, I can’t sing and play as well as Buddy OR Jeff, but I can feel the words and spirit of a 22-year-old whose life ended far too soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment