Friday, November 11, 2011

Pictures of David Hayes and Me (1977)


For Veteran’s Day, I thought it would be appropriate to write about the soldier that is closest to me - my grandfather. Like I wrote about his World War II dog tags that I wear, “ his name was David Michael Hayes, and he was from Worcester, MA. His blood type was O, and his rank was captain. His father was Patrick Hayes who lived at 3 Lily Street in Worcester (which doesn’t exist anymore). He was 26 when he went away to fight (the day after he married my grandmother), and he didn’t return for over 3 years.

I can’t imagine what my grandfather went through while in combat during World War II, but I know I wouldn’t be able to handle being in the military. I know I have a lot of other things on my mind, but I try to remember every day how lucky I am that there are so many other who are willing to be in the armed forces. Yes, I have Crohn’s and I’ve been through cancer. I will take those experiences over being in battle in the middle of a war. My grandfather’s dog tags remind me what others have been through and that I should be thankful for every free day I’m alive. Their sacrifices allow me to fight my own battle against cancer.

I think the best way to thank our veterans and current armed forces is to live life like we appreciate it. Don’t sweat the small stuff, and remember everyone who served and serves without you ever asking them to.

Thank you to everyone who does a job I couldn’t…

No comments:

Post a Comment