Tuesday, November 8, 2011

50,000 Rupiah Indonesian Bill

Thanks to xe.com, I found the US value of this Rupiah bill is about $5.60.

My friend Andy, who spends his summers in Indonesia doing anthropology research, gave me this a while ago after one of his trips.

One of my favorite Andy stories:

When I had cancer, Andy asked me if there was anything I wanted. I told him there was a certain street sign that I really hoped to add to my collection, and he went to work with his brother and one of their friends.

While his brother and friend went to acquire my “make a wish” sign, Andy stayed in the car as a lookout for any authority figures. A local cop just happened to drive by, and asked him why he was pulled to the side of the road. Quickly thinking, Andy told him that he was diabetic and that his blood sugar was running low and he was feeling light-headed.

The nice officer not only believed him, but he went to get him a candy bar. No arrests were made, and Andy got me the coveted sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment