Sunday, December 4, 2011

American Red Cross Card, Gillette Stadium Blood Drive Postcard (12/10/11), and Poem from Journal Entry (6/30/10)

I won’t tell you how old she is, but today’s birthday girl really inspires me. JB was a huge part of Skating for Hope’s success, and she helped me with this blog and my t-shirt blog. Most importantly, she inspires me to be a better person and reminds me when I’m not living up to my potential.

Specifically, she has helped me make sure I donate blood every time I’m eligible to. We have gone to donation centers and big Red Cross events like the one on the postcard at Gillette Stadium this Saturday. She also had me recruit a friend to be part of a blood donation team. Our team went to the Fenway Drive and Gillette Stadium Drive last year, in addition to the “Bahstan Gahden” Drive earlier this year. I won a recliner from Bob’s Furniture at the Gillette Drive last year – they called my name just as the needle was going into my arm!

I know a lot of people don’t like needles. If you’re one of them, I just ask you to think about all the kids with cancer and other diseases that require them to be stuck with needles, IVs, and shots on a regular basis. Unless you don’t meet the Red Cross requirements, I don’t think you have an excuse. Trust me, it gets easier to do each time. And in case you forgot or didn’t know, I relied on blood donations (red blood cells and platelets) to help me beat cancer. It will make you feel good when you do it, too!

Thank you for making blood donation one of my habits, JB. You have helped a lot of people with your passion for giving to the Red Cross, and you continue to inspire me to be the best Dave that I can be. I hope your birthday was an awesome one, and I hope this year brings you everything you wish for! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment