Saturday, April 9, 2011

Stephen Lynch and Red Sox Tickets (2/27/09, 4/9/09)

It was just over 6 years ago when two very attractive females knocked on my apartment door. I didn’t know who they were, but one of them seemed to know who I was. Her friend cut to the chase as to why they really were saying hello by telling me “She needs help hooking up her Nintendo…” That was the first night I hung out at my new neighbor’s, and we’ve been friends ever since.

One of the loves we shared right away was our enjoyment of stand-up comedy. We each had our favorites already, and listened and watched with the other when we weren’t too familiar with someone. A comedian I had seen a couple of times but didn’t know that much about was Mitch Hedberg. After hearing his CDs and watching his Comedy Central appearances, I wondered when we could go see one of his shows. Less than a week later, Mitch died from a drug overdose, and that day never came (see my Mitch T-shirt from last year).

But my new friend and I still listened to and laughed with Mitch, and did the same with our other favorite comedians. We went to see Jim Gaffigan, Mike Birbiglia, Demerti Martin, and Stephen Lynch.

Even when things in our personal and/or professional lives were stressing us out, we always had our comedians to help us through. And, for the past 6 years, we’ve been helping each other when we need it. We listen to each other, make each other laugh, and always seem to get into “adventures” even when trying to carry out our plans. I tell her about the females that interest me, and she does the same with guys she likes (most of those conversations ending with “I just don’t get it, or am I crazy to think that?” Most of all, we give each other reassurance that we are going to be friends no matter what.

Two years ago for her birthday, I took her to the Red Sox game. Even thought it was a 4-3 loss, we had a fun time and it was a beautiful day. I’m not sure what we’ll be doing for her birthday tonight, but I’m sure it will be full of laughter. I will admit, I had no idea what was going on when my door was knocked on 6 years ago. But, there was a lifelong friend on the other side, and for that I feel lucky. Happy Birthday, C.O., thanks for being such an awesome friend and constant source of laughter! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment