Monday, February 28, 2011

World Cup of Hockey Ticket (8/31/96)

Sometimes I look back in my writing journals to see what I was doing on days of years past. I looked up 2/28 in my past two journals to see what I was doing…

Two years ago, I went to see a Pearl Jam cover band, Backseat Lover at Tammany Hall in Worcester.

Last year, I watched the USA-Canada Gold Medal Hockey Game with my family and most of Canada, so I thought this ticket from a game I went to in 1996 would be a good scan for today.

In the summer of 1996, my then girlfriend was living in Philadelphia and I went to visit her on Labor Day weekend. I don’t remember how I found out about this World Cup of Hockey game, but I knew I had to be there.

I called a few ticket agencies, and found one that had a couple of seats beyond my budget but within my credit card limit. I was psyched. It was the first event at the CoresStates Center, and the seats I got were great.

The US won this game (that featured NHL teammates playing against each other), and went on to win the entire tournament. The best part was that the players weren’t playing like it was an All-Star Game or even The Olympics. They were playing like it was a Stanley Cup Final. Definitely worth the price I paid.

Oh, did I mention that I love hockey?

No comments:

Post a Comment