Friday, February 18, 2011

Tragic Comic Note (2005)

Like my Tragic Comic T-shirt suggested, I identify with this moniker. I don’t expect people to call me “Tragic Comic”, but it does make me smile when it happens. This note was also part of (thanks to my awesome sister Carolyn) the cover to my first book of poetry, Poems from a Tragic Comic.

Life has taught me many things, but of those things one of the most important is to keep laughing no matter what comes your way. Crohn’s, cancer, and drinking are all challenges I faced and still deal with in some way today. What got me through the hardest times was trying to find humor each day – it might have been a funny movie, standup comedy CD, or just making jokes with family and friends; but it all helped me to deal with a less than ideal situation.

So, next time something crappy happens, try to remember the Tragic Comic. Rather than dwelling on how unlucky you are, remind yourself that somewhere someone is worse off than you. Be thankful for what you do have, and find humor in something every day. My name is Dave, and I’m a tragic comic for life…

No comments:

Post a Comment